SJS Trees & Trimmings Christmas Market
Saturday, December 3 | 8am-2 pm
Please visit www.treesandtrimmings.com
for more information and volunteer opportunities
Dear Saint John School Community,
As the Russian military invasion of Ukraine began on Thursday, February 24, so too has a humanitarian crisis that has forced families to flee their homes or take refuge in bomb shelters and subway stations throughout the country. Many of you know that one of our own SJS families, the Konrads, recently returned from living in L'viv for four months. The University where Mrs. Konrad worked, the Ukrainian Catholic University, has transformed into a refugee center.
The turmoil our brothers and sisters in Ukraine are experiencing is unimaginable. On Monday, SJS started to collect Medical Supplies and served as one of the drop off locations. The number of supplies donated between Monday and Tuesday was overwhelming. Mrs. Konrad loaded up her van twice and it was packed to the brim! Thank you to the parents and volunteers who stopped by with boxes, packing tape and to lend a helping hand. Our first shipment went out yesterday, March 2nd, and additional cargo space has become available for shipments to Ukraine next week, so SJS will continue collecting supplies for Ukraine through next Tuesday, March 8th by 12:00PM.
Please consider donating: bandages, trauma dressings, gloves, IV starter kits, medical scissors, ibuprofen, Tylenol, antibiotic cream, eye wash, burn aid, or antiseptics.
If you would like to contribute a monetary donation, please consider donating to Razom, a vetted organization which is able to ship medical supplies to those most in need: https://razomforukraine.org/razom-emergency-response/
The Ukrainian Catholic University is also accepting donations to help shelter internally displaced people in Ukraine: https://supporting.ucu.edu.ua/en/donate/.
NBC News visited SJS to highlight the donation drive we are supporting in collaboration with Sunflowers of Peace.
WBZ | CBS Boston interviewed Mrs. Metcalf regarding how to discuss the topic of the Russian invasion of Ukraine with students. In Mrs. Metcalf's Grade 5 and 6 Social Studies classes, they discuss current events on a daily basis, making the Russian invasion of Ukraine a topic they will continue to address.
Thank you for your support and prayers for the people of Ukraine, that peace may be restored quickly to their country.
It's almost time for Basketball!
Grades 1-3 instructional clinic and
grades 4-6 PGA JR team has begun!
- All 5th and 6th grade students who had class with the Covid-19 positive teacher at school Monday-Wednesday, September 21st to 23rd need to quarantine for 14 days from the date of their exposure.
- Importantly, these 5th and 6th grade students should NOT participate in any sports or other extra-curricular activities (games, practices, classes, meetings or events) while during their quarantine period.
- Family members of these students, including siblings who attend SJS or other schools, do not need to quarantine because they did not have direct exposure to Covid-19, unless their student tests positive.
- Siblings and family members may continue with school, sports and other activities unless the 5th or 6th grader in your household begins to show symptoms of Covid-19.
- The CDC recommends that a close contact (i.e., the 5th/6th grade students) be tested. With their exposure between 9/21-9/23, the best time for testing would be around September 25-28.
- However, even if the Covid-19 test is negative, your child must still remain in quarantine and must NOT participate in any sports or extracurricular activities for 14 days.
- You must keep your exposed student in quarantine, regardless of a negative result, because it can take up to 14 days for Covid-19 symptoms to appear after exposure.
We recognize the challenges that this situation places on the SJS community. We hope this clarification provide the appropriate guidance to ensure the health and well-being of the SJS and broader communities.
Amazon donates 0.5% on qualified purchases
use our unique Amazon Smile Link or choose Saint John School as your selected charity at smile.amazon.com
thank you for supporting saint john school!